Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

For First Time's Sake

My parents if nothing else are pragmatic. They had five boys and most of the time little money. But I don’t remember wanting for much. We had vacations, toys, and most of all love. Their idea of how to attain the American Dream was simple: work hard, be good to others and respect yourself.

The American Dream as an equation changes depending on your point of reference. However, one theme is clear: the American Dream has become not something one works toward but rather an American birthright. This is no more evident than in our financial crisis; people who bought beyond their means because they felt deserving of an expensive house or CEOs who banked away millions while workers struggled to put food on the table. And then once all the money was gone they close shop and the American worker is left to start anew with little but their strong work ethic to hold them fast while the CEOs enjoy their ride with a golden parachute.

What my parents taught me in my formative years--never ask for more than you give, treat others like you would want to be treated and work hard--is the back bone of a productive society.


I have worked hard, put myself through college and graduate school and have been out on my own since I was 23. I have had a job since I was 12 and always took care of my bills. I find myself in debt, however, which is mostly due to my stopover in 'beyond my means' land. It is crazy that I am still paying for the misgivings of my late teens and early twenties; well not really. If I can offer any advice, if my advice should mean anything, buy what you want, but want what you can afford. Know your stock and stage in life.

I look around and see little that is worth my debt. I am better now and have spent time reflecting on the teachings of my parents. What has become increasingly worrying is that as pragmatic as I wish to be, there is a part of me that understands freewheeling spending and greed. That sense of power that money entitles the individual is intoxicating but misleading; because the power lies with the money rather than the person; see the money dry up see the person's power recoil in kind.

I have almost reached 30 and find myself looking at my past with a sense of regret, but then wonder if all my misgivings, failures and lost potential were worth the present day destination. It is. I am happy with who I am and who I am with.

I am better off than most Americans and better served than most of the world. I am happy to live in this land of ours and have come to appreciate this Country as greater among its equals; if there should be equals.

I am my parents' son, if for no other reason than I want to work hard and do good by my friends, family, and partner. Family--in the broadest definition of the word --and its bonds are what define a life and I have them in abundance and want for little.

Listening to:



Hasta Pronto, Cuidate,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment